Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

per·se·ver·ance

per·se·ver·ance
noun  - steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
 
When my dad went into the hospital on Monday November 8th of last year, work came to almost a stand still. Being self-employed certainly has it's perks in that I could be at the hospital as much as I needed to during that time. But it also meant no one else could do the work for me. I struggled with what wasn't getting done when I was at the hospital and if I was at work, I struggled with the fact that I wasn't at the hospital where I needed to be. I did what was needed to get us by over those 4 weeks, also doing as much for my mom as I could. But each day, we got a little farther behind. The days leading up to my dad's passing had me thinking very much about how much things would change for the business and how ultimately, it would be me making those changes. Over the last couple years he had really left things up to me to run - and I know he was proud of me because he told me so. But the comfort of having him there if there was a problem I couldn't solve or needed his creativity or whatever may be.... Well, that's been a hard adjustment. After he passed, despite our pain and sadness, life had to go on. Things had to be done. I made a very long list of things we needed to do to get caught up. Jobs that had fallen behind, paperwork that needed to be done, on and on. I've checked things off as they've been done. And this past week, 2 months and 2 weeks later, we are caught up. My mom and I managed to get through the long list one item at a time. That is perseverance... And I know he is looking down on us and smiling, knowing that as always, we did what we had to do just like he would.

No comments:

Post a Comment