Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Why I walk

Today I had the perfect excuse to not do my walk/run. It has been raining off and on all day. A consistent, wet rain that lets up for a little bit and then it's pouring again. Add in some lightning and thunder for effect, and that's how the whole day has been. And all I could think about was, this is going to screw up my walk.

But, I have a treadmill. I've had it for almost 8 years and I used to use it all the time. It used to be my favorite thing to do. I don't know why. The last couple of years, it's not been used nearly as much as in the past. But it serves a purpose and today was that exact purpose. When it was clear that the weather was going to keep inside, I knew I was lucky to have my treadmill as a backup.

After spending so much time walking/running outside, the treadmill is very different. My pace seems different and the time may as well be doubled. You know, like dog years vs. people years? An hour outside may as well be two hours on the treadmill. Why is that?

My time on the treadmill today did not have the full effect as if I had been outside, but the important thing is I did it. Not only did I do it, but I ran longer than I have outside as I posted on daily mile. This made me feel great and I was even more thankful that I had my treadmill and didn't just not do it.

Why do I walk? Why do I run? I've mentioned many times that it is as much for my mental health as it is my physical health. These are the reasons why:

  • It's MY time and I am doing something for myself
  • It's the only time I can find the "OFF" switch to my brain. I am a worrier and I am constantly thinking about everything. It is very rare that I am able to shut off my thinking and just not worry. Except when I am out there walking or running. The "OFF" switch works perfectly then.
  • I love the fresh air (another reason I prefer outside over the treadmill).
  • It's cheaper than therapy.
I am on a nice little high right now after running so far today. I am already thinking about tomorrow, hoping the rain is over by the afternoon so I can get out there and do exactly what I did on the treadmill today.

3 comments:

  1. Those are great points... And something to keep in mind when I know taking a walk is the last thing I want to do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading those points made me regret using the weather as an excuse for not walking.

    I just can't do the treadmill, though... not mine, anyway. It's unbalanced or something - and ends up hurting my shins and ankles when I use it. I prefer being outside...and this week, now that the temps are lower... I'm going out for some much needed therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this REALLY hit the spot for me. I'm working to find some workout inspiration. Thanks for posting!!! :)

    www.nothankstocake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete